Available Benefits and Eligibility
To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
- Those who served 36 months (may be aggregate) on active duty
- Purple Heart recipients with an honorable discharge and any amount of service
- Those discharged after 60 days with a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
- Children using transferred benefits
- Children using transferred benefits if their servicemember transferor is at the 100 percent level (36 months served)
- Effective August 1, 2022, servicemembers at the 100 percent level and transferee spouses whose transferor is at the 100 percent level
- Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
- Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
- Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information
You are not eligible if: You are an active duty Servicemembers or their spouse.
To receive Yellow Ribbon funds, an application must be submitted each academic year, indicating the term(s) for which consideration is being requested.
To apply for Yellow Ribbon at UNC Charlotte you must be an undergraduate, non-resident. North Carolina uses a centralized office to determine residency for tuition purposes at all state institutions of higher education. All students that are looking to attend any state school must apply to the NC Residency Determination Service (RDS) to have their eligibility for residency (in-state tuition) determined.
Given the limited number of Yellow Ribbon slots at UNC Charlotte it is expected that applicable students will have exhausted all other avenues to be granted in-state tuition. Therefore, in order to apply for the Yellow Ribbon, we require that you have applied through the RDS and been denied residency. As proof of this, we require that you upload a screen shot of your request status with your Residency Certification Number (RCN) and that shows your application has been considered and your status has been deemed “Non-Resident” (see sample screenshot below).
Additionally, we will need documentation that demonstrates that you/your transferor meet the service requirements. If you are the veteran/your transferor is a veteran, we will ask you to upload a copy of your/their DD-214. If your transferor is still active duty, we can also accepted a redacted copy of their current Leave & Earnings statement.
If you would like to apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program at UNC Charlotte please follow the link. UNC Charlotte Yellow Ribbon Application