Benefit Enrollment

Do I need to do a benefit enrollment form each semester?

Yes.  All students using VA benefits to pay for school will need to submit their benefit enrollment form each semester. 

We suggest when you have completely registered for classes submit your enrollment form at the same time.  The sooner you complete your form the better.  This may avoid a lapse in your benefit. 

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment at the end each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

I received an email saying there was an adjustment made on my account, what does that mean?

An adjustment means we have either adjusted their schedule to match what they are enrolled in, or we have submitted their tuition and fees to the VA.


Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

All students are responsible for tuition and fees at UNC Charlotte.

However, if you are using the Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehabilitation benefit, VA benefits will be paid to the University directly. Any amounts that VA benefits do not cover, the student is responsible for paying. Please note, if you are an out-of-state student using Post 9/11 benefits (100% eligibility), VA will cover the tuition and fees at the in-state rate (leaving the difference to be paid by the student).

Withdrawal Process

If you are looking to withdraw from a class please be aware of the semester deadlines to do so.

If you choose to withdraw from a class the process for notifying the Veteran Service Office is outlined below

  1. Please send an email to veteranservice@uncc.edu that lists
    1. Name
    2. 800#
    3. Class Name that you are Dropping

Once the office receives this information we will process your adjustment at that time.

Afterwards the VA will send you a debt letter, which will inform you of how much you will have to repay. The Veteran Service Office cannot calculate those payments.


We recommend you either come into our office or call the office to discuss your options and for further clarification


Have you submitted your benefit enrollment form on our website?  If not please proceed and complete that process and we will get you certified and processed in the order in which we received. 

If you have submitted your form and are using Ch. 33 or 31 there will be a protective hold on your account.  Please disregard the emails, the VA will pay the tuition. 

If you are using other benefits you will need to make a payment arrangement in order to prevent your classes from being dropped.

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Undergraduate students will be terminated for VA purposes if their cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 for two consecutive terms. If a graduate student earns an Unsatisfactory grade, benefits will be terminated.

Do I need to be enrolled as a full time student to receive my monthly stipend?

No. The monthly stipend is based on a student’s enrollment status, which can range from full-time to less than half-time, depending on the number of credits taken. Please review the enrollment status breakdown and pay rates.

Post 9/11 students receive the monthly stipend as long as their enrollment status is 51% (for undergraduates in the fall and spring terms, this means enrolled in at least 7 credit hours; 5 hours for graduate students). Students at full time will receive 100% of the monthly stipend and those in fewer credits will receive a prorated amount based upon their rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest multiple of 10.

The monthly stipend for a full-time student using the Post 9/11 benefit at 100% eligibility is currently $1,632 a month.

Note: Those on active duty or the spouses of those on active duty receiving Transfer of Entitlement are not eligible for the monthly stipend. 

How long will it take for my classes to be sent to the VA?

 The VSO has 14 days from receipt of your enrollment form to process your form.  Your VA Once email will be used as confirmation as receipt from the VA.

Can I take distance education courses and receive my monthly stipend?

Yes. However, if you are using Post 9/11 benefits, effective October 1, 2011- Individuals only enrolled in distance learning courses will be eligible for a monthly stipend equal to 50% of the national average. Rates will be multiplied by the rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest multiple of 10. 

As of August 1st, 2019, 50% of the national average for exclusively online training (No Classroom Instruction) is $894.50  To receive the full monthly stipend, a student needs to have at least one on-campus credit during the semester.

I received a Pell grant and/or student loans but the school used it for my tuition instead. Will the VA pay my tuition? Will I get my scholarships and grants?

Yes.  The VA will pay all your tuition and fees.  As soon as the VA has issued payment to the school you will receive a refund for any and all overage amounts.  This will include any grants and scholarships you have received unless those grants and scholarships are designated for tuition and fees only.

How do I get college credit for my military training?

In order to receive college credit for your military training you will need to submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST)  to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation of any applicable transfer credits.

Please review the Tuition Surcharge policy before requesting the additional credits.

Will VA pay me to retake a class?

VA will only pay you to retake a class in the event that your major requires that you make a certain grade in the class. VA will not pay you to retake a class just because you want a better grade. Before retaking a class, check the catalog for the course requirements.

General Questions

Who do I contact if I have questions concerning my veteran benefit payments, such as direct deposit, payment amounts, etc.?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or visit www.gibill.va.gov and go to Questions and Answers or go to your  Wave Account (If you have not set one up, be sure to do so). Wave is not available for students using Chapter 35, 33 and 31 Benefits.

How do I find out if I have any benefits left?

To find out how many months of entitlement you have left, you need to contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

I am the spouse of an active duty service member. Am I entitled to VA benefits?

Please visit the MyCAA program to determine eligibility.

Military Benefits

Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

No, any Veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

I receive advance pay, when will my next check come?

Advance payment will pay you from the date the school term starts through the next month. Therefore, since VA back pays you by one month, you will not receive payment until the fourth month of the term.

For example: If you receive advance pay for the Fall semester, your check will come to the school in August. This check will pay you for the school days in August and the month of September. You will not receive payment again until November, for the month of October.

I am using Chapter 33 Post 9/11, when will I get my book stipend and where will my book stipend go?

You will receive your book stipend as a separate direct deposit.  In most cases it will come after the semester has started.  We suggest that you pay for your books in advance and use this as a reimbursement.  It will go to the account that you have set up direct deposit through the VA’s website.

The book stipend will pay out according to how many credit hours you are enrolled in at a rate of $41.67 per credit hour.  This will be split over the academic year and will max out at $1000.

I have submitted my benefit enrollment form, will I receive confirmation?

Yes.  If your form has been submitted properly you will receive an email confirmation from VA-Once with the number of credit hours you are enrolled in.  If you have not received this confirmation please verify with our office that your form has been received.

What do I need to do each semester once I register for my classes?

Complete and submit the Enrollment Form.

I did not get my BAH from the VA this month or it was not the full amount.

Have you submitted your benefits enrollment form on our website? 

If not, please proceed and complete that process and we will get you certified. 

If you have completed your form, ask the VSO for your Cert ID and call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 to get additional information.

If your amount was less than you anticipated, are you aware that the VA will prorate the BAH in months we are not in class each month?


I have other health insurance will the GI Bill pay for student health insurance?

Yes, the GI bill will pay for student health insurance for those who are 100% eligible.  This is a great option for those students who are living on campus as well as those who are on campus regularly. On your enrollement form it will ask if you accept or waive. it.  This is where you will indicate if you want or do not want health insurace.  This will not affect any other health insurance.  Please understand that Tricare, Champ VA or VA health care is not accepted on campus.   

How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?

Due to the increased volume of students using benefits, we cannot give an estimated time of when you will receive your payment after your certification is processed. It is imperative that you notify the Veteran Services Office about any changes that would affect your benefits.

Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?

Yes! It is a common misconception that students receiving educational benefits are not eligible for financial aid. This is simply not true. You are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Check out the Financial Aid website for more information about applying for aid.