Chapter 33 - Post 9/11

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The VA pays tuition and fees directly to the school (the amount covered depends on the students eligibility rating) and a monthly housing payment directly to the student. The housing payment is based on the zip code of the school the student is enrolled in. It is important to remember this amount is for someone who has a 100% eligibility rating. Lower ratings mean a lower housing allowance. The VA also pays a book stipend of up to $1000 per school year.

Post-9/11 does not pay the school directly for non-tuition related costs such as: dorm costs, meal plans, or any other costs you choose to add to your student account. Please be aware you will be responsible for paying for these costs out of pocket.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Check out the VA’s Post 9/11 GI Bill website for more information.

It is important to notify our office of any changes in your enrollment information as soon as possible, as waiting may create a substantial debt to the VA.


VA will pay the approved percentage (based on your eligibility) of in-state tuition and fees directly to the university. **This does not include parking permits, meal plans, living on campus and out-of-state tuition charge.  Because these funds are paid directly to the university, a protective hold is placed on your account once you have been certified so that you will not be dropped from your classes.  You must be certified prior to 5 p.m. on the date payments are due for this hold to be put in place.  Once your Benefits Enrollment form has been certified you will receive a message through the Veterans Portal notifying you of this (and with your Certification ID #) and that is your way of knowing that a hold is in place.  You will continue to receive notifications about paying that you may disregard once you are certified.


  •  $1,626.00 per month (if a student is considered 100%).
  •   An undergraduate student must be in at least 7 credits Fall or Spring semester to receive at least a portion of the Monthly Housing Allowance; graduate students must take at least 


  • $41.67 per credit hour (at the% eligibility rate)
  • Up to 24 credit hours per academic year.