Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?

Yes! It is a common misconception that students receiving educational benefits are not eligible for financial aid. This is simply not true. You are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Check out the Financial Aid website for more information about applying for aid.

Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

No, any Veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Undergraduate Students will be terminated for VA purposes if their cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 for two consecutive terms. If a graduate student earns an Unsatisfactory grade, benefits will be terminated.

Can I take distance education courses and receive my monthly stipend?

Yes. However, if you are using Post 9/11 benefits, effective October 1, 2011- Individuals only enrolled in distance learning courses will be eligible for a monthly stipend equal to 50% of the national average. Rates will be multiplied by the rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest multiple of 10. As of August 1st, 2014, 50% of the national average is approximately $754.50 . To receive the full monthly stipend, a student needs to have at least one on campus credit during the semester.

Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

All students are responsible for tuition and fees at UNC Charlotte. However, if you are using the Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehabilitation benefit, VA benefits will be paid to the University directly. Any amounts that VA benefits do not cover, the student is responsible for paying. Please note, if you are an out-of-state student using Post 9/11 benefits (100% eligibility), VA will cover the tuition and fees at the in-state rate (leaving the difference to be paid by the student).

Do I need to be enrolled as a full time student to receive my monthly stipend?

No. The monthly stipend is based on a student’s enrollment status, which can range from full-time to less than half-time, depending on the number of credits taken. To see an enrollment status breakdown click here, and to see pay rates here.

Post 9/11 students receive the monthly stipend as long as their enrollment status is more than 50%. Students at full time will receive 100% of the monthly stipend and those in fewer credits will receive a prorated amount based upon their rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest multiple of 10.

For Example, if full-time is 12 credits, then rate of pursuit for:

• 6 credits is 50% (6 ÷ 12 = 50%)

• 7 credits is 60% (7 ÷ 12 = 58%, rounded to the nearest multiple of 10 = 60%)

The monthly stipend for a full time student using the Post 9/11 benefit at 100% eligibility is currently $1,458.00 a month.

Note: Those on active duty or the spouses of those on active duty receiving Transfer of Entitlement are not eligible for the monthly stipend. 

How do I find out if I have any benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

How do I get college credit for my military training?

Currently, veterans receive approximately 3 elective credits for providing the Veteran Student Services Office a copy of the DD-214 and up to an additional 6 credit(s) can be added with a unofficial copy of a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Depending on the major(s), it's possible the student does not need extra electives because of the amount of requirements still needed. Please review the Tuition Surcharge policy before requesting the additional credits.

How do I start my educational benefits?

Follow the steps in our New Students section. For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits.

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?

Due to the increased volume of students using benefits, we cannot give an estimated time of when you will receive your payment after your certification is processed. It is imperative that you notify the Veteran Services Office about any changes that would affect your benefits.

I am the spouse of an active duty service member. Am I entitled to VA benefits?

Please visit the MyCAA program to determine eligibility.

What do I need to do each semester once I register for my classes?

Complete and submit the Enrollment Form.

Who do I contact if I have questions concerning my veteran benefit payments, such as direct deposit, payment amounts, etc.?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or visit and go to 1.) Questions and Answers or go to your 2.) Wave Account (If you have not set one up, be sure to do so). Wave is not available for students using Chapter 35, 33 and 31 Benefits.